When the child was diagnosed with flat foot valve deformity and was described as wearing orthopedic shoes, the question immediately arises: "What kind of shoes should I choose? " I would like it to be curative and give the desired orthopedic effect, comfortable and beautiful. . .
We will answer all these questions and give you some practical tips.
Choosing Orthopedic Shoes? Or will we do orthopedic insoles?
Immediately, many parents are wondering if it is necessary to choose orthopedic shoes. . . or buy orthopedic mattresses and "it's in the bag".
Deformity of the foot planovalg is a curvature of the feet. You can see it if you ask the baby to stand with his back to you: the heels and feet will fall in and the feet will be in the shape of the letter X, touching the knees.
The shoe task: with the help of the insole and heel, change the weight distribution on the foot and then adjust the heel and ankle to the proper position (a dense high back will keep the foot from "collapsing"). The seating can not do that. That is, when diagnosing foot planovalg deformity, it is precisely orthopedic medical shoes that are properly selected.
What should be the characteristics of the correct orthopedic therapeutic footwear for "flatovalgus"?
Orthopedic shoes for the treatment of planovalg deformity have:
- first, a high and strong spine is a very important point, as it is the back that will hold the heel and ankle in the proper position, preventing the legs from bending inwards;
- dense and pronounced immediate support. It is necessary in order to act on the longitudinal arch of the leg, forcing its muscles to work in a new way and redistribute the load on the leg when walking;
- Thomas's heel is also important, it supports immediate support, helping the foot to be in the right position.
Shoes should be made of genuine leather, as on the one hand it is a reliable and dense material, and on the other hand, it is comfortable and practical to wear.
Boots? Sandals? Shoes?
The stores offer many models of orthopedic medical shoes for different seasons. Every mother's eyes will immediately be drawn: there are orthopedic shoes, orthopedic sandals, orthopedic boots for fall and winter. Need to buy everything? It is advisable that all shoes in which the child walks be curative. This will help you see the effect faster. But if you have financial difficulties, then choose the type of shoes in which the child will be more. We advise, first of all, to choose replacement shoes for kindergarten and school.
How to choose the right size for children's orthopedic sandals?
How to measure the length of a child's leg? This question has been asked by almost all parents who contact us: I want to get orthopedic sandals by a margin, but not overdo it. The allowable difference for orthopedic sandals is from 5 mm to 1 cm. The optimal one is 7 mm.
Pay attention to the whole pattern: the shoes should fit well (not hang or be cut on the skin).
Tip: if you choose sandals with a margin of 1 cm, be sure to ask the child to walk in them, and make sure the feet are fixed and not hanging. Also, the baby should not be hindered. If you are still a very young child and are choosing your first shoes, it is better to get orthopedic sandals with very little or no stock. The first steps not completely safe, should be done without much effort, and a large stock can be a problem.
Some other rules. . .
And finally, some simple but really important rules that will help your feet get healthier faster:
- be sure to wear therapeutic orthopedic sandals at home, in kindergarten, at school;
- it is necessary that street shoes have all the necessary healing properties;
- make sure, in addition to wearing orthopedic shoes, do exercises, massage or self-massage on a massage mat (for example, on a pebble mat);
- buy shoes only from natural materials - feet in such shoes breathe, do not sweat;
- it is better for the child to wear shoes like socks, at least for the first time after purchase;
- If you have purchased new orthopedic leather sandals for the treatment of planovalg deformity and have not worn such shoes before, you do not need to immediately put your child in them and walk all day. The feet should get used to it, and the skin on the shoes should stretch, so we recommend that you start wearing it for a few hours a day during the first week and gradually increase the time.
It is better to go to the store with a child to get shoes instead.